Saturday Nine: Rocky Mountain High (1975)

on
Saturday, August 8, 2015
This week's Saturday Nine:
  1. In this song, Denver sings that he was "born in the summer of his 27th year," because that's when he discovered the place where he felt most at home. What do you remember about your 27th year? I turned 27 in 2013. That year, I got a promotion at work; was in love with one guy at the beginning of the year that ended up going nowhere; ended up dating a close friend that I shouldn't have gotten into a relationship with; went to see Paramore at Sound Academy, Tegan and Sara at Downsview Park, Weezer at Downsview Park, Jimmy Eat World at The Phoenix, and Paramore again at Air Canada Centre; and had a lot more free time to blog and eat and blog about eating.

  2. In 2007, the Colorado General Assembly named this one of the state's two official songs. (The other is "Where the Columbines Grow.") Do you know your state song? I didn't know there was such a thing, but I did some Googling, and turns out, there's an "unofficial anthem" for Ontario called "A Place to Stand, a Place to Grow."

  3. John Denver was a dedicated environmentalist who wrote an anthem about Earth Day. Are you careful about your energy consumption? Do you recycle? I try to be conscious about my energy consumption, so you know, I don't leave the water running longer than it has to, I turn off the lights when I leave a room or area, I don't leave my car idling. I'm not crazy anal about my carbon footprint or whatever; like, if I forget to bring an eco bag, I'm gonna take a plastic bag. But I'll always try to re-use that plastic bag. We are pretty good about recycling here; there's a blue bin for paper, plastic, glass, and cans, and a green bin for organic products, and you must have all garbage in clear plastic bags so that if the city collectors see things that could be recycled in your regular garbage, they won't pick it up.

  4. 1975 is also the year that Denver released a collection of holiday songs called Rocky Mountain Christmas. On this August day, what's the first carol that comes to mind? "Oh Holy Night." I actually can't stand most Christmas carols, but I don't mind that one.

  5. Denver dabbled in photography in his spare time and friends say he was quite good. Tell us about your hobbies? Does eating count? Or hoarding make-up? If so, then those are my top two hobbies! If not, I guess blogging. And reading YA novels. And photography, to a certain extent.

  6. In 1975, when this song was popular, mood rings were all the rage. It was said that the ring reflected the wearer's mood. Black = anxious/stressed, orange = worried, green = normal, blue = happy, pink = as good as it gets. As you respond to this week's Saturday 9, what colour would your mood ring be? Well, at work, it would've been black because I had to deal with some stupid fucking people today (unless there's a colour for anger and/or frustration)... but now that I'm at home, it would probably be green. Or is there a colour for tired/exhausted?

  7. Pet Rocks were 1975's other odd cultural phenomenon. Do you have any real-life, breathing pets? Not right now. I'm not home often enough to be a responsible pet owner. The only pet I've ever had was a hamster named Hammy when I was 8. He died of obesity two years later.

  8. 1975 saw the premiere of Wheel of Fortune. Are you good at word puzzles? I like to think so, unless it's a really obscure word/phrase in a really obscure category.

  9. Random question: Did you sleep well last night? I had a deep sleep, so I suppose that's good, but was sadly woken up by my alarm after four hours so I was tired all damn day.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9