Sunday Video Love: Don't Mess With Me

on
Sunday, October 19, 2014

I've been following Brody Dalle's career for over a decade now — The Distillers' Sing Sing Death House and Coral Fang were two of my most played records in high school, and I remember meeting them at the Edge 102.1 studios back in the early 2000s (I actually recently found a photo of me with Brody from that meet-up; I was 16 and wearing absolutely no make-up and one of those metal ball chain choker necklaces that was so popular at the time, so obviously this photo will never see the light of day). When The Distillers broke up, I was devastated. But a few years later, we saw the emergence of Spinnerette, which was a little more dance-y and insanely catchy, and their self-titled album was one of my most-played records in 2009 (I still play "Ghetto Love" and "All Babes Are Wolves" on the regular, actually). Then we never heard from them again. Finally, this year, Brody Dalle released a solo album. It took me a little while to get on board with it because I didn't find it to be as instantly memorable as her previous work. But the more I listen to it, the more I like it, and I realize that it's quintessentially Brody Dalle: 100% bad-ass and punk-rock through and through.
4 comments on "Sunday Video Love: Don't Mess With Me"
  1. Guns guns guns...that is quite catchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, right? I think you'd like her work in Spinnerette, too. :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I love this woman!
    I didn't even know she came out with a new album. So glad you posted this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're welcome. I think she got a lot less press after The Distillers disbanded, but her solo album is actually pretty good. Check out the song "Rat Race," too. :) Did you listen to Spinnerette? Also great!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9