An Autumn Tag

on
Thursday, September 18, 2014
Haven't done a tag in a while, so when I saw this one on Larie's blog, I decided it'd be a fun one to do because fall is my favourite season and even though it's not technically fall yet, it certainly feels like it here in Toronto. So, here we go!

1. OK, we're talking coffee — what's your favourite seasonal drink from Starbucks or another coffee shop? Not gonna lie, this is where I follow the masses: Pumpkin Spice Latte. I don't often go to Starbucks to order coffee anymore because I buy their coffee ground and make it myself at home, but I just can't resist a PSL. I actually prefer the one from Second Cup, along with their Cinnamon Swirl Latte. When it comes down to it, I think Second Cup makes tastier lattes.

2. Accessories — what do you opt for: scarf, boots, or gloves? I do love myself a good scarf and rarely go without one in the fall, but I think the accessory I get most excited for is boots. There's just nothing like a good pair of boots to complete an outfit. They're also my favourite kind of footwear.

Nine West Vintage America Collection Sabady Suede Booties


3. Music — what's your favourite music to listen to during autumn? I don't necessarily change the music I listen to seasonally, but I've found that I go for moodier or more "haunting" songs when fall rolls around, whereas I listen to a lot more peppy, upbeat tunes in the summer. I've been really into Half Moon Run recently and just downloaded their album, Dark Eyes. They're kind of Radiohead meets The Black Keys meets Kings of Leon. I've had this song on repeat for the last week:



4. Perfume — what's your favourite scent for this time of year? Okay, so y'all know my all-time favourite scent is Fresh's Sugar Lychee, which is unabashedly fresh and citrusy (and therefore quite "summery"), but I do switch it up with somewhat heavier scents when fall comes around. I tend to go for more rose-based scents like Stella McCartney's Stella, Dolce & Gabbana's Rose The One, and YSL's Parisienne. But I'm on the lookout for a new scent this year. Any suggestions?

Stella McCartney Stella, YSL Parisienne, and Dolce & Gabbana Rose The One


5. Candles — what scents will you be burning this season? I'm supposed to be on a candle ban (as usual), but I cannot resist Bath & Body Works' fall scents. I'm like a moth to flame. I don't really like the scents they bring out for the other seasons, but fall is my weakness. I bought the Banana Nutmeg Bread Pudding scent last month and have been burning it non-stop (it actually smells more nutty than banana once it's burning, so it really does smell exactly like bread pudding), though I did just buy a couple new scents (Bourbon Butterscotch and Wasabi Apple) as well... And I've been burning the Honey Cinnamon Crumb Cake candle I bought last winter and promptly forgot about...

Bath & Body Works Banana Nutmeg Bread Pudding Candle


6. What do you love most about autumn? What don't I love about autumn? The weather is perfect (cool and crisp but not freezing yet), the fashion is amazing (coats and boots and scarves and blazers!), the make-up is more refined and polished and more dramatic, we can use candles without seeming crazy...

7. Favourite makeup look? Nudes and deeper red hues like maroon and burgundy for lips. I mean, vampy lips have always been in for fall, but I'm leaning more towards warmer shades rather than plums or berries this year. I like to pair them with warm-toned smoky eyes using golds and orangey browns and coppers and reddened bronzes, plus winged liquid eyeliner (as usual) and tons of mascara (as usual). I've also been digging a thicker, more defined brow.

Marc Jacobs Beauty Lovemarc Lip Gel in 110 Role Play and 146 Cabaret; NARS Audacious Lipstick in Vanessa, Vivien, and Audrey; Illamasqua Glamore Lipstick in Minx, Naked, and Starkers; MAC Lipstick in Cherish, Viva Glam II, Viva Glam III, and Media


8. What are you looking forward to most in autumn? Everything, but mostly make-up collections. As we all know, I have a hoarding problem. And also, new outerwear! I've got my eye on like, five coats right now. Oh, and fall also means my birthday which means IMATS is coming up!

As you know, I don't like tagging specific people because I don't want them to feel obligated to do this, but if you end up doing this tag on your blog, let me know in the comments so I can read your answers!
15 comments on "An Autumn Tag"
  1. I'll have to listen more to that band. The opening reminded me of Alt-J, too, but the singer's voice reminds me of someone else that I can't quite think of right now.

    I wear Parisienne during the cold months, too. I know you're not a vanilla girl...but I can't resist a perfume hunt! Have you smelled TF Tobacco Vanille? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, there is an Alt-J-esque sound to them as well. The first them I heard their music, I was like, "They sound like another band..." but I couldn't put my finger on it. I do think there's some Radiohead in there, though, with some Black Keys guitar riffs... But yeah, they're totally worth checking out. They're an indie band from Montreal and I always like supporting Canadian artists. :)

      I haven't smelled Tobacco Vanille, but mostly because I don't live near a TF retailer. I really need to expand my horizons. After reading your most recent fragrance post, I'm quite intrigued by Atelier Cologne's Oolang Infini. Might have to step into Sephora to take a sniff. Also quite interested in the Diptyque scents and Jo Malone's new Wood Sage & Sea Salt... Any suggestions for non-vanilla scents?

      Delete
    2. NON-vanilla? *falls over*

      Fine. LOL. If you can get to a counter, I would suggest trying Diptyque scents - something like Tam Dao, maybe, although I don't know how you feel about warm sandalwood type scents. People also like 34 (which smells like soap on me, lol) and L'Ombre Dans L'eau (which smells like MAC makeup wipes on me, LOL), and Diptyque makes some well-rounded scents. There's also Philosykos, but I can't handle anything fig, so I can't really tell you how it wears :P

      Atelier Cologne Oolang Infini is lovely; it's supposed to be smokier, but I don't really get a lot of that - I'd be interested to hear (and jealous) if it turns out smokey on you! It's a great tea scent, though. And I think Liz said you guys have access to Serge Lutens testers (so jealous), so that's a fun line to explore!

      Delete
    3. I think it's time for an outing, Denise!!! (Serge Lutens is at Eaton Centre Sephora. Full range of TF and Diptyque are at Holts.)

      Delete
    4. Conclusion: I think I need to get myself to a Diptyque counter, lol. I've been reading the descriptions of their scents online but I can't seem to "visualize" it (you know, in an olfactory way). But they all sound kinda mysterious and sexy.

      I need to find a retailer that sells al the Atelier Cologne scents, 'cause Sephora doesn't carry the Oolang Infini one here!

      And yes, Liz, we need to have an outing SOON! Especially because Inglot also just opened up by the Eaton Centre!!!

      Delete
    5. I think all your needs are at the Eaton Centre because I'm pretty sure I got a sample of Oolang Infini from there as well, lol. You set the date, m'dear. I'm flexible. :)

      Delete
    6. Hmm, I'm off on Tuesday, October 14, if you're free? It's the day after Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. How about Diptyque? You might like Les Volutes for Fall/Winter. Another one might be Tom Ford's Velvet Orchid which is very pleasant. It's not floral at all. Lasts all day on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to check out some Diptyque fragrances. I've always been intrigued but never really given them a sniff. And I also haven't smelled any of TF's fragrances. I HAVE SO MUCH SMELLING TO DO!!! Thanks for the recommendations -- will check them out next time I'm at Holt Renfrew (the only retailer that carries those brands here).

      Delete
  3. i LOVE stella. its one of my fav scents and i have a bottle waiting for me in vancouver yet to be unopened.
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Stella, too, but I've been using it for over a decade (like, actually -- I started wearing it in my first year of uni). It's still my go-to when I want something deeper, sexier, but I want to try something different, perhaps less rose-based. :)

      Delete
  4. Ah, autumn. I have such a love/hate for this season. What sort of coats are you looking at? I want a leather jacket and a new parka that isn't such a granny sleeping bag like the one I have, because I just know that I'm going to live in that granny one all winter long if I don't do something about it now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! I am also looking for a good parka that will cover my bum and have a big hood because the wind cuts through my wool coats. Fuck peacoats, man. This smoker needs a fucking snow jacket.

      I also have my eye on this faux-shearling-lined military-style jacket from Aritzia for fall. :P

      Delete
    2. I nearly bought on a jacket with a fur collar from Zara but the proper weather for wearing that piece lasts for like 10 seconds.

      I think Mackage is right up your alley if you care to splurge!

      Delete
    3. I have a couple of Mackage peacoats, but never really looked at their parkas. Might take a look at some, but I think their prices are a little too steep for me to buy at full retail price... I might end up with one from Aritzia like everyone else in Canada, except they have like, 12 different types now that all very slightly differ from one another, so I am gonna have to do some major trying-on... :P

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9