Christmas Dinner at Essence of Unionville

on
Wednesday, December 25, 2013
My brother flew in from New York yesterday to spend Christmas with us this year, and as per tradition, my mom made a reservation at a restaurant for Christmas dinner because she says it's too much hassle to cook Christmas dinner at home. (And I am absolutely useless in the kitchen.) Now, we typically go to Maxim's for their Christmas menu, but my mom heard good things about the Christmas buffet at the Essence of Unionville, which is one of the restaurants inside the Hilton Suites, so we decided to go there instead.

Prime rib with gravy and horseradish and Yorkshire pudding

Roast turkey with stuffing and gravy, lamb tenderloin, roasted potatoes, and turnips, green beans, and carrots

Chocolate dipped strawberry, raspberry white chocolate mousse, raspberry tart, and strawberry tart

And that was all I could stuff into myself, which was a damn shame because I didn't even touch the salad bar (though, to be honest, why the hell would I waste my stomach space on salad for Christmas dinner?) or the cheese and charcuterie plates, or the crab legs, or the soups, or the pastas (too much starch at a buffet = rookie mistake). I would say that the Christmas buffet special at the Hilton is worth checking out because it's actually really good for a buffet, with a decent selection of "Christmas dinner" food to suit everyone. But for $45 a head, I do think going back to Maxim's for their Christmas menu is more worth it. Though there isn't as much choice as a buffet, their menu is well-curated, the quality of their food is always excellent, and the service is way more attentive and efficient. I mean, it took our server tonight ten minutes to get us some coffees, and another ten just to get us the check. Anyway, that's all I really did today. Which is just as well, because what else is there to do today but eat with family and be lazy? 

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas Day!
12 comments on "Christmas Dinner at Essence of Unionville"
  1. Replies
    1. 'Twas pretty good! :)

      How did your Christmas go? Did you guys end up getting your power back up?

      Delete
    2. I've decided to postpone Christmas dinner and gift giving since I've been living at Rich's for a week now.
      We actually got our power back up tonight (Thursday), which means we were about five days without electricity in the house! -.-;;

      Delete
    3. BRUTAL. I think you guys were one of the last areas to get power back, 'cause most people started getting power by Christmas. Where did your parents and Bianca end up staying? Your house must've been a freezer.

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas. The food looks really good :) Hope you had a good time! We had a quiet Christmas this year and focused on cleaning up the apartment as we're planning a small new year's eve party with some expat friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had an amazing Christmas as well, Fieran! Christmas is usually quiet around my house, too -- we pretty much stay home all day (everything's closed) and then go out for dinner, lol. But I hope you have a super-fun New Year's! :D

      Delete
  3. Sounds awesome! Three different meats here - you done good, girl. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You KNOW I would've gone for a fourth meat (they were serving Christmas ham, too!!!) but I was so full, I could barely get out of my chair let alone waddle up to get more from the buffet tables, LOL. But 'twas an excellent dinner, indeed. :)

      Delete
  4. om nom nom!!! the food looks delicious.
    my mom wanted to forgo the hassle of cooking this year too so we ordered a cooked turkey from T&T. it was so funny. the 'gravy' they gave us was really just hoisin sauce. it was good though, only a little dry but not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! I didn't even know you could GET turkey from T&T! Ahhh, Asians and our "Christmas food."

      Delete
  5. Amazing! I think you did pretty well ;) We were in HI staying with friends, so we had prime rib for dinner on Christmas. So. Good. T_T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO JEALOUS. Though it was the first white Christmas we've had here in several years now, and add to that all the gorgeously iced trees from the ice storm last week, it was actually quite pretty out... But still, from the pics I saw on your Instagram, you had a spectacular trip and Hawaii looks STUNNING. I really do want to go there someday.

      Prime rib > turkey, always.

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9