MAC Stroke of Midnight: Eyeshadow Palette in Cool

on
Saturday, November 2, 2013

Last week, MAC released a new collection called Stroke of Midnight, which features a variety of colour kits and is the second part of MAC's Holiday 2013 offerings. The packaging of this year's holiday collections are inspired by the elegance and geometric designs of 1920s Art Deco, as well as the lavish lifestyles of the Studio 54 era. Stroke of Midnight consists of 19 products, and sees the release of three new and limited edition eyeshadow palettes. Each palette features five shades of eyeshadow, and comes with a mini double-ended 213/266 brush. They are housed in special edition black mirrored compacts with a white geometric design, yellow gold trim, and matching secondary cardstock packaging. Each eyeshadow palette contains a total of 4 grams of product, and retails for $47.50. 

Fair Sex, Deception, Romance Me, Frisco, and Shadowy Lady

Fair Sex, Deception, Romance Me, Frisco, and Shadowy Lady

Fair Sex is a light neutral pinked beige in a Frost finish. This is a new and limited edition shade. It has a soft, silky texture, and goes on smoothly and evenly. It has high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. It can be layered and blended out easily. It is more beige than Pink Freeze, and more pink than Dazzlelight.
Deception is a medium-dark warm plummy brown with gold shimmer in a Frost finish. This is a re-promoted shade from 2009's Magic, Mirth, and Mischief collection, and is limited edition. It has a soft, silky texture, and goes on smoothly and evenly. It has high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. It can be layered and blended out easily. It is less golden than Bronze, and less plum than Mulch.
Romance Me is a medium-dark cool taupe-brown with gold shimmer in a Lustre finish. This is a re-promoted shade from 2012's All for Glamour collection, and is limited edition. It has a soft, silky texture, and goes on smoothly and evenly. It has high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. It can be layered and blended out easily. It is more brown than Satin Taupe, and darker and more grey than Sable.
Frisco is a light-medium warm pinked beige in a Matte finish. This is a new and limited edition shade. It has a soft, silky texture, and goes on smoothly and evenly. It has high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. It can be layered and blended out easily. It is darker and warmer than Yogurt, and lighter than Malt.
Shadowy Lady is a blackened plum-burgundy in a Matte finish. This is a permanent shade. It has a soft, silky texture, and goes on smoothly and evenly. It has high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. It can be layered and blended out easily. It is more plum than Sketch, and much darker and more burgundy than Fig. 1.

Well, consider me impressed. It is rare that every shade from a pre-assembled MAC eyeshadow palette has a beautiful formula — smooth, pigmented, great colour pay-off, easy blendable — but this one does, and it's rather taken me by surprise. Even the matte shades are super-smooth and buttery, more akin to the Matte2 formula than a regular Matte finish. The version of Shadowy Lady in this palette seems to be softer and far more pigmented than the permanent one, and Romance Me is so smooth and velvety that it doesn't seem like a Lustre finish at all, and more like one of MAC's better Frosts. And even though MAC has named this their "Cool" palette, I actually find it to be more on the neutral-warm side. Either way, it should work beautifully across all skintones and for both warm and cool undertones. My favourite thing about this palette is the nice mix of shimmery and matte shades to create far more versatile and dimensional shades. If these shades appeal to you, it's definitely worth picking up.
15 comments on "MAC Stroke of Midnight: Eyeshadow Palette in Cool"
  1. Deception and Shadowy Lady are definitely drawing me in...I'm still not a palette girl, but if I were...this one would get me for sure. Good on MAC for improving the quality of the pre-made palettes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't you like palettes? I love my single eyeshadows, don't get me wrong, but I still love me a good palette, lol. But if you like Shadowy Lady, it's a permanent shade so you can always grab it on its own. :)

      And, yes, MAC has definitely improved the quality of their pre-made palettes recently. Maybe they realized that they needed to up their game given their price increases and their competition!

      Delete
  2. These are EXACTLY the shades I was hankering for a month ago, but I picked up that dinky little Annabelle trio and it's actually enough to satisfy. Especially love Deception and Romance Me... and unlike Toya, I have a feverish love for palettes that will never die. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you got something to satisfy your needs! For some reason, drugstore eyeshadows have never appealed to me. I'll buy tons of drugstore lip products, but rarely ever eye products. I bought those L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadows over six months ago and STILL haven't used them. I really should bust them out at some point. :P

      And I'm with you -- I'm a sucker for palettes, lol.

      Delete
    2. Oh man, I think L'Oreal should put those Infallibles into a palette...!

      Delete
    3. I think it would be really messy if L'Oreal did that, no? I'd like to see the Infallibles in a set, though. I'd be on that for sure. :)

      Delete
  3. so pretty! love the deception shade w/ iths gold shimmer. it just makes the plum more special and interesting!
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too. :) I also really like Romance Me 'cause it's not as grey as Satin Taupe but still has that depth and dimension that I like. And, surprisingly, I really love Frisco. It works so well as a lid/base colour and it's so smooth and buttery. :)

      Delete
  4. I love me a good palette and Ross one is just gorgeous!! It looks like you could create a neutral as well as a smoky eye with this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! I've used just one shade from this palette to all five. All depends on your mood... and the amount of time you've got, lol.

      Delete
  5. Romance Me looks soooooo close to Stolen Moment or Urban Decay's Mushroom, right? I wish they'd sell that as a single :) I have difficulties buying palettes especially if I know there's 1 shade I won't use. Like, take Laura Mercier's Artiste Palette - I love the dark shades but there are some light shades like highlighters/base shades for fair maidens that will be completely useless on my skin tone - so I can't justify buying it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have UD's Mushroom, but Romance Me does look very similar to Stolen Moment -- they're just different finishes! I totally agree with you re: palettes, though. I'll try anything colour-wise, but I think it's a little easier for me because I have a medium skintone (NC30 - NC35) and I tend to blend the crap out of colours, anyway, lol. I was looking at Laura Mercier's Artiste palette, too, and while it's tempting, I'd rather get UD's Vice 2 palette 'cause it looks way more fun. :D

      Delete
  6. I can't resist purple palettes. I swatched this one in-store and it definitely didn't have the same colour payoff as you did, but could be because of the many fingers that touched it before mine. I may pick it up when I get my Lured to Love blush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the colour pay-off is likely due to lots of people touching the palette before you! The swatches in the photo in this post are from a completely untouched palette. :) This is definitely a great palette if you like smoky purple-toned eyeshadows!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9