Markham Sushi

on
Friday, September 6, 2013
Steph and I went to the Estée Lauder warehouse sale this afternoon and wanted to grab dinner somewhere relatively close by (northern Markham area). I was craving some sushi, so we read up on some places nearby that had good ratings and aptly-named Markham Sushi came up on more than one list, so we decided to hit it up.

House green salad

Sashimi + Sushi Combo

Okay, I don't normally make a habit of writing or posting pictures of starter salads, especially ones that come free with your meal, but then again, there has rarely been a free salad that stood out to me. But the one at Markham Sushi has the most delightfully delicious dressing — creamy and zesty with a kick of ginger — that I decided it deserved a mention. (Also, if you order it on its own, it's $3.50 for a small.) As for my main, I decided on a sashimi and sushi combo — five pieces of sushi, six pieces of California roll, and 11 pieces of sashimi (I think they gave me an extra piece by mistake, but no complaints here!). Nothing fancy or crazy, but it's tasty and reliable, with super-fresh, generous slabs of fish. I'm not sure if it's entirely worth $19.99, seeing as any many AYCE Japanese restaurants are only $1 or $2 more and many of them are upping their game with the quality and variety of their food (holla, Maison du Japon!), but I will say that their prices are generally lower than many other Japanese restaurants of the same quality.

The place itself is tiny and kind of hidden within a really unassuming plaza (there's a bank and a dry cleaners... and not much else) but it's a great local sushi place tucked in a quiet neighbourhood. The service is polite but really slow and inattentive — at one point, I thought our server forgot about us (we were sitting in a booth so we were kind of hidden away from the rest of the restaurant). To be fair, I think this is mostly due to only having two people serving the entire place and also how busy it was (they're responsible for take-out orders, as well), but I think knowing how busy they can get, especially on a Friday night, they should bring in more help. The place was packed the entire time we were there, though, with people consistently waiting for a table, so that should be a good indication of the quality of the restaurant. I think Markham Sushi is more known for their maki and special rolls, so I will be sure to try them next time, 'cause I do think it's ultimately worth returning... but maybe on a Monday or Tuesday instead.


Markham Sushi
17 Wootten Way North
Markham, ON L3P 2Y2
(905) 294-4616
6 comments on "Markham Sushi"
  1. You clearly have not visited Fushimi! You need to go, ASAP. You're welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually do want to try Fushimi, but it's much further away from this area! Plus, when I'm around Woodbine, I'm always like, "Let's just do Maison du Japon." :P I will definitely keep it in mind for my next sushi adventure, though! Any recommendations there?

      Delete
    2. Surprisingly enough, I love their grilled lamb skewers! All their maki/sushi/hand rolls are great, the two complimentary raw oysters are a must have- totally plump and fresh, just ask for no sriracha. Everything else is delicious and they don't try to fill you up with rice! They don't skimp on the dishes with avocado- the avocado salad is my favourite.

      I'd suggesting going with the boys or a large group so you can sample the many dishes they have to offer. :)

      Delete
    3. Ooh, is Fushimi AYCE? For some reason, I thought they were an a la carte restaurant. Lol, is it weird that two AYCE Japanese restaurants are right across from each other? :P

      UNNNGH, LOVE LAMB SKEWERS. AYCE LAMB SKEWERS? I AM SO THERE.

      And I still need to check out Dragon Pearl... GODDAMNIT, TOO MANY THINGS TO EAT, SO LITTLE TIME.

      Delete
  2. That salad dressing looks so good!

    BTW, is it just me or was the warehouse sale really disappointing this time? I went Friday afternoon and there was barely anything. I remember a few years ago there were tables for each product. This time several product types were grouped together because they didn't have enough types of each. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS super good! Have you been to Markham Sushi?

      The sales are usually a hit-or-miss for me. It can be disappointing depending on what you're looking for. I also went Friday afternoon, and I wasn't really looking for anything in particular but I knew that I was on a make-up and body product ban, so really, that narrows it down to skincare and haircare. The Bumble and Bumble selection was really disappointing this time around (but it was spectacular last time!), but I found a ton of Estee Lauder skincare at really good prices in the last warehouse 'cause they JUST discontinued a bunch of stuff a few months ago. Picked up my favourite toner (the 400ml size, too!!!), my favourite serum, and a moisturizer that I tried a sample of last year and ended up really liking. I gave myself a budget, though, so I didn't go overboard. :P

      My friend found her favourite Origins moisturizer (it was discontinued this year) and bought three of those, plus another three bottles of Clinique's Even Better serum 'cause they were half-price. She made like a bandit!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9