Essie Summer 2013: Naughty Nautical Nail Colour Collection (Part I)

on
Thursday, July 4, 2013

I've been thoroughly impressed with Essie's collections lately. I was totally in love with their Resort collection colours, and then I saw their Summer shades rolling out in May and was further elated. I realize that swatches of Essie's Fall collection are popping up online already, but I'm still in full-on Summer colour mode, and Essie's Naughty Nautical collection totally fits the bill for me. I ended up buying all six shades from the collection when I was perusing Nail Polish Canada, and I've been rocking all of them (especially these three here) on and off for the last month-and-a-half. That's how much I love these shades.

Naughty Nautical, Sunday Funday, and The More the Merrier

Naughty Nautical is a medium vibrant turquoise-teal with iridescent shimmer flecks in a jelly-cream finish. It has a fluid consistency without being too thick or too runny. It goes on smoothly and evenly, without any pulling or bubbling. It has high pigmentation and will reach opacity in two medium coats. It is more green and more shimmery than Butter London's Slapper and Julep's Lena, and darker and more blue than China Glaze's Keepin' It Teal.

Sunday Funday is a medium vibrant reddened coral with iridescent shimmer flecks in a jelly-cream finish. It has a fluid consistency without being too thick or too runny. It goes on smoothly and evenly, without any pulling, bubbling, or streaking. It is completely self-levelling. It has high pigmentation and will reach opacity in two medium coats. It is darker and more reddened than Essie's Cute as a Button, more pinked than MAC's Kid Orange, and brighter and more orange than OPI's Suzi's Hungary Again!.

The More the Merrier is a light-medium vibrant chartreuse green in a jelly-cream finish. It has a fluid consistency without being too thick or runny. It goes on smoothly and evenly, without any pulling or bubbling. The first coat goes on a bit streaky, but it is completely even after a second coat. It has high pigmentation and will reach opacity in two medium coats. It is brighter than Julep's Fiona, lighter and more yellow-toned than China Glaze's Def Defying, and more green than Color Club's Sunrise Canyon.

Okay, in a world with a plethora of turquoise and coral shades, both Naughty Nautical and Sunday Funday ended up being much more unique than I thought they'd be — the shimmer flecks and jelly-cream finish really set them apart, making them look more dimensional and glossier. Several months ago, I mentioned that I really don't like how coral shades look on my nails, but I've realized that when they're a bit deeper and more reddened, I totally love them. It creates a much brighter contrast with my skintone and doesn't make my skin look sickly. The More the Merrier also doesn't seem like it'd be a very unique shade since there are so many bright lime green polishes out there, but this one seems to border that fine line between bright and neon, and yellow and green — many of the other lime green shades I've tried lean one way or the other. In my opinion, Naughty Nautical is the most outstanding shade from the collection, but all three of these are absolutely stunning and so perfect for summer. I find these work equally well on both fairer and tanned complexions, too. I've been wearing these three shades together especially, alternating each one on every finger, and the effect totally reminds me of candy, like Jolly Ranchers. Essie seriously hit it out of the park with these three, in both colour and formula.
3 comments on "Essie Summer 2013: Naughty Nautical Nail Colour Collection (Part I)"
  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, now I want Nautical and Funday. So peppy and pretty! Funday looks like a more exciting version of the Dior shimmery corals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these are SUPER PEPPY!!! Totally worth getting! Just looking at them makes me happy. Honestly, this launch might be my favourite summer nail collection. But, to be fair, I wasn't really impressed with many of the summer collections that came out this year. :/

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9