Essie Nail Colour in Avenue Maintain

on
Wednesday, May 1, 2013

When Essie's Spring collection, Madison Ave-Hue, started rolling out in stores last month, it didn't 'wow' me as a whole. For some reason, pinks and lavenders and lilacs, while pretty, don't excite me that much this time of year, maybe because every brand comes out with a version of them for Spring. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love those pink and purple pastel shades, but once you have two or three, that's all you really need because they all end up looking the same. But blues? Blues always excite me. I can't help it. I'm obsessed, and I can never have enough. So when I saw the displayer at my local Loblaws, I knew that I had to get Avenue Maintain.


Avenue Maintain is a medium brightened cornflower blue in a cream finish. It has a fluid consistency without being too thick or too runny. It goes on smoothly and evenly, without any pulling, bubbling, or streaking. It has high pigmentation and will reach opacity in one medium-thick coat or two thin-medium coats. It is much less purple than Essie's Lapis of Luxury, lighter and less purple than Illamasqua's Cameo, slightly darker and more purple than Joe Fresh's Blueberry, and darker than Topshop's Celestial. This is honestly one of the best Essie shades I've ever worked with. Applies incredibly smooth with amazing colour pay-off and is completely self-levelling. It goes on the way Illamasqua or Julep nail lacquers do (which is to say, phenomenally). The shade itself somehow manages to be unique, too, because all the dupes I could think of are either lighter or darker, and more purple or less purple. This is one of those widely flattering blues that can be worn all year round and by pretty much anybody of any age and any skintone because it's not too bright or loud, but not too pastel or dainty, either. To me, there's something very "classy Euro" about this shade, reminding me of boat rides down the French Riviera and Van Gogh paintings (particularly "Irises" and "Bedroom in Arles"). 
6 comments on "Essie Nail Colour in Avenue Maintain"
  1. Hmmm...you think I can wear this? I'll have to see a swatch on my skintone, I keep giving it the eye but I'm SCURRED, Denise!! Make me a believer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OF COURSE you can wear this. It isn't even a question. Don't be scared, JUST DO IT! I don't know why you don't think you can wear this. It's seriously universally flattering!

      Delete
  2. Just here to comment about your superb nail painting job!
    I think mum would love this colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She probably would -- I think Essie polishes are on sale at Loblaws right now. ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm still waiting for that blue nail polish collection post! This looks a bit like OPI/Sephora Slushied to me, but there's probably some subtle difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a big difference between this and Slushied! This one leans much more cornflower, almost periwinkle with the purple undertones, whereas Slushed is a full-blown aqua/cyan blue.

      So... basically, this is still a must-have.

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9