Dior Bird of Paradise: Dior Addict Lipsticks

on
Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Dior released their Summer 2013 collection this month, called Bird of Paradise. It features 27 products in total, but not all retailers will carry the full range (I think select items are exclusive at certain stores). According to Dior's website, there are four shades of Dior Addict Lipstick released with this collection, but I only saw two shades available at The Bay (where I previewed the collection). I decided to pick both up on a whim, since my friend got me a discount on them and you know my affinity for lipstick in pretty packaging. Both shades are new and will be added to the permanent Dior Addict Lipstick range, and are packaged in transparent iridescent plastic square cases with the name Dior embossed on the side. The actual bullet is encased in a silver metal tube that fits into the plastic case. Each lipstick contains 3.5 grams of product, and retails for $31.

751 Exotique and 771 Passionnée

751 Exotique and 771 Passionnée

751 Exotique is a medium vibrant warm strawberry pink with a high shine finish. This is a new shade, and will be added to the permanent range. The texture is soft and creamy, and goes on smoothly and evenly. It has medium pigmentation and semi-sheer to semi-opaque buildable colour pay-off. It is warmer and more sheer than MAC Lustering, more pink and more sheer than MAC Full Speed Sheen Supreme Lipstick, less reddened and more sheer than MAC Elegant Accent Mineralize Rich Lipstick, darker and brighter than Clinique Woppin' Watermelon Chubby Stick, and warmer than Revlon Sweet Tart Lip Butter.
771 Passionnée is a medium vibrant cool-toned fuchsia pink with a high shine finish. This is a new shade, and will be added to the permanent range. The texture is soft and creamy, and goes on smoothly and evenly. It has medium pigmentation and semi-sheer to semi-opaque buildable colour pay-off. It is less bright and more sheer than MAC Lickable, cooler and more sheer than MAC Insanely It Sheen Supreme Lipstick, brighter and slightly cooler than YSL Pink in Devotion Rouge Volupté Shine, and slightly less cool than Revlon Lollipop Lip Butter.

There are a lot of similar formulas to Dior Addict now, but when it first came out, it was really the only lipstick that combined the emolliency and hydration of a lip balm with the shine of a gloss and the colour pay-off of a lipstick. Of course, due to the more emollient nature of the texture, these lipsticks will wear two, maybe three hours at most before needing to re-apply, but they do keep lips looking and feeling hydrated throughout the duration of wear. The two shades here are lovely and perfect for this time of year, the semi-opaque colour pay-off is ideal for those who want to get into wearing a brighter lip colour, they feel very moisturizing and comfortable to wear, and they are both scent- and taste-free. On that note, it seems every single make-up brand has a similar type of lipstick now and there are a lot of dupes out there available at a range of different prices, so I'm not going to say that these are worth $31 a pop. But they look luxurious, they feel luxurious, and well, they're Dior. Fans of the Dior Addict Lipstick formula who want a nice pop of colour without being overwhelmingly bright should find these enticing.
4 comments on "Dior Bird of Paradise: Dior Addict Lipsticks"
  1. They're nice and peppy looking for the season, but I just can't bring myself to pay the Dior price for these guys. I tried to with a gift card numerous times but there's a big mental block. Maybe I'll go for their regular lipstick some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough -- I think especially given that there are so many dupes for these shades and at WAY cheaper prices (Revlon's Lip Butters/Kissable Balm Stains, Maybelline's Baby Lips/Color Whisper, CoverGirl's Jumbo Gloss Balm, etc.), there's no real reason to get these instead except for the luxury factor. To me, it's like buying YSL Rouge Volupte Shines or Chanel Rouge Coco Shines. I do find these more hydrating than many of the lipstick/balm/stick hybrids, though. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, great picks Denise! I know what Liz means about the cost being prohibitive, and I probably won't buy another shade just on a whim anytime soon, but I sure do love the one I have :D I think you'll get oodles of wear out of these, so the cost will be justified methinks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it can be a little heart-wrenching to spend this much money on a lipstick, and I probably wouldn't have splurged on them if my friend didn't get me a discount on them, but I don't regret it. They feel gorgeous on the lips and they look fantastic. :) That having been said, I probably won't buy another Dior lipstick until a new shade REALLY catches my eye. I find that I tend to ignore a lot of Dior's permanent make-up range and don't really pay attention to them until a limited collection comes out, lol.

      I don't know how much wear I'll get out of these because I have like, 500+ lipsticks, but I do see myself reaching for these when I want a pop of colour without wearing a fully opaque lipstick!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9