Friday Five: Lines

on
Friday, March 15, 2013
This week's Friday Five:
  1. What's the longest line you've ever stood in? Probably at Vans Warped Tour, back when it was still held at Molson Park (which is now called Park Place). The last one I went to was in 2006, and I remember the line-up curving around the entire park.
  2. When did you have the most fun waiting in line? I can't really pinpoint an exact occasion, but I usually have fun waiting in line when I'm with a good group of friends. I find it's never where you are, but who you're with, that matters.
  3. What line, no matter how long or short it is, always drives you crazy? Lining up to go over the border to the States at the Lewiston—Queenston Bridge
  4. When did you last behave in a manner that was over the line? I may have said some rather offensive things to one of my friends sometime last week. I didn't mean for it to come out offensive, but he said something that had pissed me off, so I said something that was just honest and it may have come across as kind of mean... 
  5. What are some lines of poetry you can recite from memory? In Grade 10, I got detention (the only one I ever got) and the teacher who was supervising it just happened to be the meanest English teacher in the school. Detention was held for two hours after school, and she said we had to memorize Shakespeare's Sonnet 116 and recite it back to her at the end of the two hours. So it's sort of stuck with me ever since:
"Let me not to the marriage of true minds, admit impediments. Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove: O no! It is an ever-fixed mark that looks on tempests and is never shaken. It is the star to every wandering bark, whose worth's unknown although his height be taken. Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks within his bending sickle's compass come: Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, but bears it out even to the edge of doom. If this be error and upon me proved, I never writ, nor no man ever loved."
10 comments on "Friday Five: Lines"
  1. LOL! Such a shame that a beautiful poem like that has to be marred by the memory of a horrible detention. Two hours is SO LONG!

    The longest lines I stood for was the George R.R. Martin event at Indigo last year, but the people in the line were super fun and we had a good time. The other long-ass line was a one hour wait to get a bowl of porridge in Singapore. But SO WORTH IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An hour for a bowl of porridge?!?! What was in this porridge?!

      I can imagine a line-up for George R.R. Martin being that long, it's as if J.K. Rowling or Stephanie Meyer or Suzanne Collins made an appearance at Indigo. They're literary celebrities!

      Yeah, detention at my high school was HARDCORE. I remember the reason I got one was because I changed out of my uniform early when I was technically still supposed to be wearing it. Yes, this is one of the many reasons I hated that school.

      Delete
    2. It was a fish porridge and it was DELICIOUS. They also had this fish salad thingy that was even more fabulous!

      None of my detentions were ever longer than an hour. More often than not, it was the teacher who wanted to go home earlier, LOL.

      Delete
    3. LOL, did you get a lot of detention, Liz? BAD GIRL.

      Ugh, my high school sucked and was filled with totalitarian assholes. Like, I remember one douche bag teacher giving a girl a detention because her shirt was untucked. Seriously. I always tried to stay under the radar.

      For some reason, I can't picture fish porridge. I can picture fish congee. Was it congee? Ugh, I'm hungry right now. :(

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I wonder who this English teacher was?

    I still have photos and stickers and stuff I collected from Warped Tour 1997!! Last year I was cleaning out some stuff and found it. That's FIFTEEN years ago! I also realized that I relate more to Much More Music than Much Music, "Playback" hours on the radio that "New Rock", and the bands people talk about reuniting and coming out with new albums are ones I remember buying the new releases for back in high school. Made me feel a little old. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I totally forget her name now, but she was older, probably in her 60s, with glasses and REALLY frizzy hair. Do you remember her? I think I had her for English in middle school, but she did a lot of the detentions.

      LOL, 1997!!! I was obsessed with like, Spice Girls and BSB and Hanson... Actually, come to think of it, I think I did go to a Hanson concert in 1997. My first Warped Tour was in 2000 (I still have a shirt from it, and it has SO MANY HOLES, it's like a dirty old rag, lol).

      I don't really watch Much More Music or Much Music or listen to the radio, so I rarely hear any new pop music these days, unless it's playing at work or in the mall, and even then, I don't really pay attention to what it is. Seriously, it's ridiculous. I don't know a single song by The Wanted or that other UK boy band that made it big, like, Directions or something. I didn't know "Call Me Maybe" until someone sang it at a karaoke birthday party six months after the song was released, LOL. In fact, I didn't hear "Titanium" until TWO WEEKS AGO. I didn't know who Nicki Minaj was until she became MAC's Viva Glam ambassador, lol!

      I feel like all my favourite bands from high school have broken up now. :( Makes me so sad. Like, Alexisonfire and Thursday, I followed them for over a decade and they broke up last year. I don't know how I feel about reunions now, though, after a band has broken up for a while. Like, Smashing Pumpkins sounds like CRAP now. I've heard At The Drive-In is reuniting, but I don't know how good their new stuff will be. And Refused played a show together for the first time in over a decade last year... but I think they just played all their old stuff, so that actually might've been fun... except I feel like everyone there would be in their 30s by now, seeing as they last released music in 1998, lol.

      I feel old, too. :P

      Delete
  3. I'm LOL-ing right now. I was at this same detention!! However, I cannot say I can now recall this from memory. Two hours wasted :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, were you really? What did you get detention for?

      Delete
    2. I got detention many many times. Uniform infraction, being late, skipping prayers (hello Great Canadian Bagel), skipping House Shout...

      Delete
    3. LOL, that's hilarious. Never realized how often you got detention!

      I think I got this particular detention because I changed out of my uniform early on Celebration Saturday. Kinda ridiculous... You were smart and chose to skip House Shout instead. That detention would've been worth it.

      Oh, man, I miss Great Canadian Bagel. For some reason, I don't see any of their stores anymore, but I swear it still exists...

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9